www.flickr.com

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Billy seems to be weaning himself

So far, I haven't had much luck trying to wean Billy White Shoes.  But just like he litter trained himself by watching the big kitties, he seems to be weaning himself.

A few days ago, I had a few slices of deli ham I was eating.  Billy came up to check out what I was doing.  I tore off a couple small pieces, held them in my hand, and offered them to Billy.  He sniffed them, and then scarffed them down without any hesitation.

I've seen Billy grabbing some of the dry food out of the bowls.  I'm not sure how much he is actually swallowing, but at least he has gone from just sucking on the kibble to chewing/crushing it with his jaws.

I'm not sure how much credit I can claim, but Billy seems to be growing up.

A few photos. 




8 comments:

Random Felines said...

hehe - yep, they grow up with or without our help. I was SURE Silver wasn' eating - until I caught her doing it. :) I forget how old he is now, but with their moms, kittens will continue to nurse until 10-12 weeks. Silver is 6 weeks now and Marble has lost patience for the most part - Marble will get up and leave or Silver gets a momma cat foot to the head. You may have to resort to tough love....cut back on the feedings and give him exclusive access to dry or canned food.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

Each kitten weans on their schedual. I had one that wouldn't until week seven. I've had one that tried to eat cat food at week two.. He looks quite handsome and very healthy.. I love his little stripes..

Marg said...

Gosh he is so cute. Kittens are sneaky. He has the best of both deals. A little milk here and then some real cat food plus ham on the side. Won't be long before he is eating all on his own. It sure is fun seeing pictures of him.

Mickey's Musings said...

Goodness!!!! What a cutie pie Billy is :)He is getting big too :) He is doing quite well it seems,thanks to you and Grace ;)
Purrs Tillie and Georgia,
Tiger,Treasure and JJ

Katie Isabella said...

what a treasure and a pretty one too. Oh I have enjoyed watching him grow. XOXO

Oui Oui said...

Billy sure has grown a lot! How sweet he & Gracie are together.

Angel Prancer Pie said...

They do tend to grow up. **sigh** He is so adorable still and has lots of "firsts" to go through and we can't wait to hear abou them!

KARLAVAGNEN said...

Great news!!! He is gorgeous and he owes it all to you!!! Congratulations!!! I recall the first friday night at home, with what we thought was barely a month old kitten. I cut up some Tortilla de patatas (prefab), had the kitten sitting on my shoulder and he let out a huuuuge MEOW! I let him try some and he wolfed it down. But he was soon back on kitty food again.