www.flickr.com

Thursday, March 22, 2012

So far, so good - II

Vital statistics: Minimal weight gain today, maybe up to 6-1/4 ounce (1/4 ounce gain).  I have an old, mechanical scale, and I suspect it really isn't that accurate.  He is still eating, so I'm assuming this is more a measurement problem than the kitten not gaining.

In other news, I found out my heating pad has an automatic shutoff (can't risk burning the customer, I guess).  Anyone know of a heating pad that I don't have to keep turning back on?  Do cat bed warming pads stay on?  Are they warm enough for this?

I have a plastic bottle full of water I heat in the microwave and then put in a couple old socks.  That seems to be helping.  Sometimes I find the kitten cuddled up against that, sometimes away from it, so I guess he is keeping himself comfortable.

I also stuck an old Tux the Penguin in the box with him, in case he wanted something to cuddle with that wasn't heated.

9 comments:

Random Felines said...

huh - our heating pad doesn't do that. I don't know about the cat warming pads though.... I know that the water bottle helps. :)

When Bug was here, she had a furry friend too.

Come see us tomorrow....we have a new baby.

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

Sounds like the little one is finding its own comfort there.. Hope it is ok Hugs GJ xx

Marg said...

Oh good news. Glad he is hanging in there and a good idea to have a friend for the kitty. Get some rest yourself.

Katie Isabella said...

Oh my goodness, mommy and I have missed this. We will go back.

Gemini and Ichiro said...

We are glad he is doing well. Our heating pad also doesn't need to be turned back on but it is an older one. Hmm...

Oui Oui said...

We bet your bed with you in it would be just the right temperature!

Fuzzy Tales said...

Coming over from Random Felines....Oh, my, what a tiny sweetie he is! We're glad he's doing okay and have our paws crossed that he thrives in your wonderful care!

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

Aww...

sorry, I was having a moment. I was about to suggest a stuffed animal for your little charge when I read you already did that.. it made me smile.

Since you are in there so often feeding, just turn the heating pad off and then back on. It will reset the time it takes to turn off.

Having kittens with a mom is so much less work, but I so totally miss being so hands on..

Anonymous said...

i use this for my outside kitty, K&H 3093 Extreme Weather Kitty Pad with Fleece Cover. (Wish she'd come inside but she perfers the great outdoors) It was pricey but she uses every night, so worth it to me. It doesn't shut-off & only heats up to a cat's body temp. Doesn't get crazy-hot like a human heating pad. But may still be too hot for a kitten. Good luck! Katie, Central Calif